- Listen to me - he said grimly – once you promised something to someone, and you are not there, there are only two reasons what can be an excuses: you are dead, or as sick, ast you can not move!" You are not dead, I see. Well, what is the disease, let me call the doctor.
I told him anxiously in the dark, what happened. My grandfather listened without a word. When I ran out of words, he said. Seriously, in slow speech.
- Listen to me - he said. - There are people in this world, who toss it back and throw the words, and promises that have no value anymore. We, members of theWass family are not one of them. If we say something, it is like the stone. If we give our word, that we can, even if die in it! Do you understand?
- Yes, I understand – I faltered.
- No, you do not understand! - hit me with his words – but I’m going to explain it to understand. You see the gold watch in the pocket of my vest? My grandfather gave it to me when graduated from high school. When you’ll graduate, it will be yours. This watch is more valuable than any other nick-nack. But you can steal it. You can return it, or refund it’s price. Steal someone's horse, cow, ox, shot gun. Steal everything again and return it, or refund in price. Only one thing, if you steal from someone, could not be refunded. Never. And this is the Time! If you steal someone's time, you steal something you can never give back. Never can retrieve. The time you spent on waiting can not be brought back by no power on Earth. It does not exist anymore, it has passed over. Lost forever, and you were the one who is the cause of this irreparable loss. Do you understand?
And I understood. I understood as much, as from that day when I give someone my word, then and now that I'm here or there - I get there five minutes before the time, even if there are crones falling from the sky, as my dear old grandfather used to say. I brought up like that my children and also my grand children. Not because it is late, bad manners, but it's more than that. Who is five minutes late, five minutes swiped of someone's life, what could never be approved.
- Even the enemies trust the people who are reliable – as it was said by my grandfather - because trusted people are the crags of the society, which can be incorporated into the country. The others are rubbish, what will go with the wind... "
(Wass Albert: My grandfather taught)